Latest News Headlines
Shining a Light on The Right Light
UK – The Association of Lighting Designers, in conjunction with Royal Central Research, is hosting an afternoon of talks and panel discussions at Bankside (Central Bankside, Emerson St. SE1 9DU – Saturday 8th April, 2017 – 2pm) to celebrate the warm reception of Nick Moran’s recently published book, The Right Light (Palgrave 2016).
The Right Light documents the findings of Royal Central’s Nick Moran’s project, which asked such questions as: ‘How do top theatre lighting designers decide what is the right light for each moment of a live performance?’, ‘How much of the process is technical?’, ‘How much craft? and ‘How much art?’ Answers to these questions, gleaned through interviews with 19 leading UK-based lighting designers, form the basis data for this fascinating research study.
The event, introduced by Peter Mumford, multi award winning LD and director, and chair of the ALD, features some of the lighting designers involved. In attendance to bring engaging discussions from the book to life, will be:
- Lucy Carter, a long-term collaborator with Wayne McGregor and others
- Michael Hulls, whose creative collaborations with Russell Maliphant and Akram Khan among others won him an Olivier for outstanding contribution to dance
- Mark Jonathan, some-time head of lighting at the National Theatre and international opera lighting designer
- Johanna Town, whose beautiful work, particularly for drama, has been seen on stages all over the UK and Europe
- Paul Pyant, who won the Olivier for best lighting for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and is also highly regarded for his more subtle and poetic work at (for example) The Donmar theatre
The afternoon will conclude with a chance to buy singed copies of The Right Light, and a drinks reception. Booking for the event is via: https://therightlight.eventbrite.co.uk
In picture: Michael Hull's lighting for Afterlight, a collaboration with Russell Maliphant.
photo: Dana Fouras
16th March 2017
© 1999 - 2021 Entertainment Technology Press Limited News Stories